About Me

My photo
Collinsville Middle School PE teacher. Married (19yrs.)with two boys (12 and 8) 7th grade boys basketball coach. Avid cyclist

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Stop # 30 Kirksville, MO

Hello again
I called ahead to the Kirksville UMC thinking I could make my connection ahead of time? Bad idea. I got rejected I think for the first time?? The Pastor said they just couldn't help me. No, I did not get freaked out. I knew something would happen and it did. When I went through Moravia I saw the school. I went in to fill up my water bottles and met Angie. She was an amazing help. She made a bunch of calls for me and tried to get me set up in Kirksville for the night. I also met the librarian, Rosemary, and she too tried to make some calls for me. I told them not to worry about it and that I had Faith that something would come through. I left for Kirksville and when I got here I decided to treat my self to a Wendy's Frosty ( they are good!) So I turned around to sit down and I saw Rosemary in there. We sat and talked for a little while and had a great conversation. She even decided to offer me a place to sleep at her house. Angie had just called me a few minutes before to ask if I had had any luck and to ask if I was missing my riding gloves. I said no and uh, yes. She told me that her boss Bill Lake, would put me up in a hotel if I wanted to do that and she could bring my gloves since she lives in Kirksville. So I thanked Rosemary but I decide to take the hotel room instead. They put me up in a Holiday Express for tonight. Man, I am a fortunate guy. I can't thank all of you enough, thanks thanks thanks!!!!!
The more I try to plan things the more I get discouraged. The more I just lean on my Faith, the easier everything becomes. Not just Faith in God but Faith in kindhearted people. I cannot count how many times people have taken care of me on this journey. So, to everyone out there who I have met, thanks. I was having a conversation this morning with this man and a woman. He said he needed to find some Faith in people. I told him it starts with us. It's ok to say hi to people and to be friendly with everyone. If it's not returned, who cares, at least you were giving. I think he understood exactly what I was saying. I hope they both share our conversations with the people that they come into contact with on a daily basis. I really feel like we could all do a better job of being kind to each other, it starts with us. I was able to share my story with several people today. It really helps me get energized and to appreciate just how lucky I am. Caleb is special to hundreds if not thousands of people. I know I am only one of many who was and is touched by my relationship to that boy. I owe it to him, the Zarzecki's, my family, and everyone I meet to carry his inner strength and share it with everyone I come into to contact with. We can all share what he means to us by how we interact with everyone. Sorry, I'm not trying to get deep, I just want everyone to know how much he helped me become a better person. I'll bet most of you know exactly what I am talking about if you ever met this guy.
Tomorrow is suppose to be a 85 mile day. I'm not sure I'm up for that many miles since I rode 70 today. Did I mention all the hills? Oh yeah, I'm sure I did! lol So, I will post as soon as I can and let everyone know where I am and what has happened. Oh, I was stoked to finally get into Missouri, only one state away!!!!!!!!!!!!! Home home home home. Cya TK

2 comments:

Michelle Jefferson said...

That's what I've believed all along! Caleb was God's instrument! God has a plan for each of us, but Caleb was a notch above. Gives me goosebumps:-)

Jennifer said...

Ok...I have to say that this post of yours hit me the most, emotions coming like crazy, tears of joy though. Michelle I agree, goosebumps too!!! Caleb truely was a notch above. His story touches any and all who hear it, how can it not, and I feel extemely lucky to have had him in my life for 3 years. Well better get to the treadmil....and sorry, have to say ILL INI!!! Booo Mizzouuuu. ;-) Still like ya though Tom, won't hold it against ya!

Take care, Jen