About Me

My photo
Collinsville Middle School PE teacher. Married (19yrs.)with two boys (12 and 8) 7th grade boys basketball coach. Avid cyclist

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Stop # 11 Purcellville, VA

Hello again
Well what can I say about leaving West Virginia?? Hmm? Thank you Jesus. Here"s the deal with WV, all mountains, no shoulder at all, and fast driving motorist who are in a hurry to get somewhere? Not sure where because I never even saw a Wal-mart. ha ha. So as I rode into Virginia today I started feeling all happy inside because I could tell I was out of the Appalachian Mountains. Make note to self, do not ride through West Virginia ever again! Got it. Ok.
I am staying at a beautiful B&B just south of Purcellville, VA called the Middlegrove Inn. The great people over at the UMC in Purcellville have offered to pay for my visit tonight. I made a delicious pizza and went for a swim about an hour ago. That felt amazing and I feel refreshed and ready to finish up the ride tomorrow. They have a rails to trails trail that goes from Purcellville to DC, It's about 45 miles and paved, I think already told you that? Oh well, I'm excited because it's going to be safe!! One more day of keeping the rubber side down and I'm home free.
I'm almost done with my cross country journey, hard to believe. I hope that I have inspired at least one person out there to do something out of your comfort zone? Run a marathon or half marathon. Start exercising? Help someone out? Make new friends? Get back on your bicycle? Donate to a charity or to a cause? Volunteer somewhere? Because of this journey, I have been able to do all of these things. (except the marathon parts!! ouch ) I am really proud to do this in honor of Caleb. He has been on my mind a lot when the physical pain of riding was getting to be unbearable. I can't imagine how much he went through but I feel his strength was with me on this entire trip.
One little boy.
One huge heart.
Caleb's heart beats forever in all of us who knew him.

My final post/blog on the big ride across America in honor of Caleb Zarzecki will be Sunday.
Bye

3 comments:

Michelle Jefferson said...

Tom, I just can't say enough kind words about you. Incredible, awesome, inspiring...the list goes on. As we approach the 2 year anniversary of Caleb's passing I couldn't be happier that his spirit is SO alive. You are helping the Zarzecki's, as well as the rest of us, to heal! Granting the scholarship in 2012 is going to be awesome! Thank you for inspiring me to do good things. MJ

Jennifer said...

I ditto everything Michelle said. You inspire me everyday!!! Enjoy DC and your family!!!

Keep in touch!!

Love, Jen Smith Traficano

Anonymous said...

One of the greatest things we can do for our children is to show them how to live life to the fullest. You are doing that! The King boys are very fortunate to have a dad that is showing them how to live each day to the fullest, to show gratitude and respect for people who have made a difference in your life, but most importantly to raise the bar for yourself each and every day. God bless! Your wife is an amazing and supportive woman. We greatly appreciate her along with your boys.

Lisa Port